Saturday, February 03, 2007

toe-chu mi gokko sish to you, too

Tonight I took time to do something a little different and I am so glad I did. Since Ethan is in a new place, and there was still a bit of commotion at bed time, I laid down on the floor next to him and we shared and I learned from my 21-month-old son. Ethan has always been able to confidently look me eye to eye and boldly proclaim prophetic and profound statements like, "bogo eetch-o-beyoo." And when he says things like this, his posture and expression show that he means what he says.

Tonight was not much different. As we lay in the semi-dark room he and I talked about important father-son stuff. We talked about the Chicago White Sox pitching rotation for next season, and he was as concerned as I was about the departure of Brandon McCarthy. He said, "Bligga-pleetch-okko gox." I agreed. In fact I was quick to inform him that I really hadn't looked a the situation from that perspective. I was worried about the point spread I had given my friend Mark for tomorrow's Super Bowl. I picked Indianapolis by 11. Ethan was quick to answer with a clear, "nooo," when I asked him if the point spread was too much. Then he said some off color things about Rex Grossman - "Toggachech shom-ee kotewas," I think was the exact quote. We bantered some more about girls, the Illini basketball season, his mom and how lovely she is, and a few other things. He squirmed a little bit more, and finally took my hand in his and said, "sish-a-bog oof," took a couple of tugs on his pacifier and fell asleep.

That whole time I was not really worried about the Sox, the Illini, the Colts, or the girl troubles he is having at daycare. I was most worried about twenty years from now. I want to make sure we can still sit together in some intimate father-son way and talk about those same things the way we did tonight. Tonight he was in a place where he needed 'daddy,' and when he needs daddy, he gets daddy. Especially now, at his young, vulnerable, and innocent age. I want him to know, though, that twenty years from now and beyond, he can still know that when he needs dad, he will get dad. And no, I didn't understand a single word he said in his own little language this evening, I heard him loud and clear. I heard a message that all the world might want to hear. It is a message that calls us to nurture and give of ourselves so that our children can know that they are loved. As my wife and wonderful partner in this task of parenting say, "fill them with love and they will overflow with love." And maybe if we are lucky maybe they will only know how to love each other one day.

Being daddy tonight, gave me hope for that day. With every babbling sentence, smile, laugh, and pick of the nose (mine and his), I heard the message - toe-chu mi gokko sish. Translated, thank you, I love you, too.

No comments: